Tuesday 22 February 2011

Bond

Is there anything better than hearing someone laugh? Okay, so there might be occasions when you don't want them laughing at you - even clowns find that hard sometimes. And, donning the hat of political correctness, we should be sure we don't laugh at the inappropriate. But "the laugh's the thing, with which to spit the sides of any king!". And I have always found that to make someone laugh gives me the greatest buzz in the world!

I have my father to thank for this love of comedy. He introduced me from an early age to radio shows such as 'The Goons', 'Hancock' and 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again', which I would learn off by heart. As a family we watched TV comic heroes like Eric Sykes and Tommy Cooper and classic movies from the Ealing comedies to Mel Brooks. I remember with pride the day Dad took my sister and I to a double bill of 'Blazing Saddles' and 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' and lied about my age to get me in! My farther and I constantly chuck each other lines from comedies, both knowing the full routine that follows, and both giggle like kids to the bewilderment of others.

The love of laughter continues today with my own family. My wife and I can both say that our mutual attraction has a lot to do with our ability to make each other laugh. (You just can't beat a good snigger!) And now my kids are following on the tradition. During my years away from acting I have been able to supplement my need to perform by entering the role of "World's Silliest Dad". My life has been a stream of walking into trees, taking pratfalls, using silly voices and telling stolen jokes. All of which they have digested and now perform back to me daily.

And again there is the baton of classic comedy to be passed on. We have already presented them with Spike Milligan, Laurel and Hardy, Morecambe and Wise to name but a few. The latest being a family viewing of 'Young Frankenstein' - so not surprisingly there are now two more Marty Feldman wannabes strolling the planet, talking about "Nasty switches" and "Abbey Normal". And finally my daughter, at the age of 8, has memorised the whole of Bob Newhart's 'The Driving Instructor'.

I'd like to say "My work here is done" but there is so much more to show them and to laugh at with them - and I can't wait!

The family that LOL, is H2S...

-----

No comments:

Post a Comment