Monday 17 January 2011

Assistance

"Catch me, I'm falling into my past.
Deeper, the deeper the louder the laugh!" - Madness - March of the Gherkins

I would never call myself a forward thinker. I'm far happier looking back on the past and reliving fond memories. This may be because I have a very good memory for memories. With some people its phone numbers or faces, with me it's events in total. Sights, songs, sounds all spark memories - not smells though. My nose sort of packed up twenty years ago, so I can't really smell something now to give me a memory and of course anything post 1992 has no point of reference!

On some occasions it works too well but in the wrong way - my nose that is. On entering a perfume section of any department store my nasal cavities clamp shut in revulsion. Same with flower gardens and 'Lush' stores, if they're still going. Other times I get false, phantom smells from long ago -
"Do you smell piccalilli?"
"No"
"Just me then"
However, a lack of smell does come in handy when unblocking drains or back in those unhappy nappy days.

A good memory, on the other hand, was essential for a good night night out with friends. After several pints the conversation would often turn to favourite sweets or children's programme of yesteryear. If someone got stuck it would often fall to my memory to save the day.
"Remember - they were like minstrels - but without the hard shell" (Galaxy Counters)
"Oh you know. The one with the bear - in the garden - with the magic squares" (Issi Noho).
Of course the advent of the internet and iPhones have made me obsolete on such occasions (and must ruin pub quizzes).

Thankfully I'm in a relationship where we both work to our strengths. MW is the planner - sorting the family's timetable for the week, remembering to pay bills on time and seeing in her mind's eye where we'll be in five years time. While I'm the data store she can turn to at any time and ask,
"Where have I seen him before?"
"In that film - with the talking gorilla -  but he had longer hair and a limp."

It's a skill... 

-----

No comments:

Post a Comment